Is it just me, or does any use of at least two of the herbs from Scarborough Fair leave the song stuck in your head for at least a day? “Parsley, sage, rosemary, and thyme” has been on repeat in my head ever since I decided on doing this pizza for this week’s post.
Of course, the flavor combination isn’t just because it’s from the song. The herbal notes of the rosemary and fried sage blend beautifully with the brown butter (which I promise is there even if you can’t see it!). The potato and garlic confit round it out. This pizza strikes that balance between hearty richness and lightness; it’s both satisfyingly filling and easy to eat a lot of.
Pizza with Fingerling Potato, Garlic Confit, Rosemary, Sage, and Brown ButterPrint Pin Rate
- 1 pizza dough ball (either basic pizza dough or 2-hour pizza dough is fine)
- 1 teaspoon rosemary leaves
- 2 to 3 small fingerling potatoes
- extra virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 4 to 5 medium sage leaves
- 1 ½ tablespoons garlic confit paste
- 4 ounces mozz
Mince the rosemary and roast your potatoes:
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit with your pizza stone inside. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Finely mince the rosemary until you have 1 teaspoon of minced rosemary leaves.
- Slice the potatoes into 1/8” slices (a mandoline is perfect for this). Toss the slices with enough olive oil to generously coat, along with salt and pepper to taste.
- Arrange the potato slices in a single layer on the parchment-lined baking sheet. Bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit until tender and beginning to brown on some edges, about 20 minutes, flipping once halfway through.
Make brown butter and crispy sage:
- While the potatoes roast, melt the 4 tablespoons of butter in a pan over medium heat. As soon as it melts, add the 4 to 5 sage leaves.
- Cook over medium heat until the sage leaves are crispy (you’ll know they’re ready when they stop bubbling), then remove the leaves to a paper towel to drain.
- Continue cooking the butter until it’s golden-brown, if it’s not done yet.
Prepare and bake the pizza:
- Stretch the dough to an approximately 12” round. Brush with olive oil, then spread the 1 1/2 tablespoons of garlic confit paste over the crust.
- Sprinkle the pizza with the 1 teaspoon minced rosemary, then spread the 4 ounces of mozzarella cubes over the crust.
- Arrange the roasted potato slices on top of the mozzarella.
- Bake the pizza until the crust is golden-brown and the cheese is melted and bubbly.
- Drizzle about a tablespoon of the brown butter over the pizza, then crumble the crispy sage leaves and sprinkle on top.
Leave a Reply